Re: [exim] Mailman Admins - How much do you pay Yahoo to ac…

Author: John C Klensin
To: Marc Haber, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Mailman Admins - How much do you pay Yahoo to acceptmail tosubscribers?

--On Sunday, January 1, 2017 17:30 +0100 Marc Haber
<mh+exim-users@???> wrote:

> Yes. E-Mail is dying, especially for those who are not yet
> ready to trust their e-mail to one of the big big yummy
> providers but instead prefer running their own mail server.

Marc, for more reasons than Paul gives, I don't believe it. I
think that, instead, we may see the email community divide up
into people who use it for content-rich messages and whatever
they consider serious purposes (and, who, as Paul suggests, may
not expect a free lunch or to criticize its taste and
preparation exclusively) and those for whom email is something
that can easily be replaced by one sentence (or shorter) IM
messages, tweets, or and messages whose content can safely be
mined by mail providers for advertising or worse.

I used to be fond of telling people that I've had one mail box
since the early 1970s that has never received spam, junk mail,
or the like. The technology and host has changed over the
years, but anything sent to it without fairly specific
message-level authentication simply goes quietly to the trash.
It doesn't work (and has never worked) with public mailings
lists that I don't control, but that is a different problem.

> And it's not the spammers who kill it. It's the antispammers.

There we agree.

   best,
    john