Re: [exim] ipv4 "interface" stm disregarded when on IPv6?

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ipv4 "interface" stm disregarded when on IPv6?
On 19/12/16 14:31, Tom Preissler wrote:
> It appears to me that when emailling @gmail.com from my commercial
> domain, it *always* goes out via the main IPv6 address. This is kinda
> expected, as I am IPv6 enabled and Google, too. But it's kinda
> unexpected as I am specifically telling it on the remote_smtp_cc
> transport to use a valid, local IPv4 address.

Assuming you're using the "interface" option on the transport:

"The first interface of the correct type (IPv4 or IPv6) is used for the
outgoing connection. If none of them are the correct type, the option is
ignored.".

So, if the address for the item has already been determined, say by
DNS lookup done by a dnslookup router, and _that_ got an ipv6,
and your "interface" option only had an ipv4 possibility... it
gets ignored.

You can play with tricks like "dns_ipv4_lookup = gmail.co"
(main option setting).

Or you could specify both an ipv4 and an ipv6 address.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy