[exim] Delay times of less than a second for ratelimiting?

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: [exim] Delay times of less than a second for ratelimiting?
Greetings -

I'm looking to apply some rate limiting on incoming emails from certain
hosts on our Exim 4.86 setup. I'm familiar with using the *ratelimit* ACL
condition to measure rate and decide whether to take action.

>From the example in the Specification it looks like when the threshold is

reached I use *delay* to introduce a delay. However *delay* takes a
standard Exim time interval: an integer number of seconds, minutes, hours,
days or weeks.

Is there a way of using a *fraction* of a second for the delay — eg, 0.5
seconds — or would I have to look at using the old-style
*smtp_ratelimit_{hosts,mail,rcpt}* options instead to achieve this, with
the disadvantage that they only apply within a single connection?

With many thanks,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm