Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 on Coverity Scan

Author: Zoltán Herczeg
To: Giuseppe D'Angelo
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE2 on Coverity Scan
Hi,

I tried this tool a long time ago, and uploaded pcre perhaps twice, but I wasn't satisfied with its output since it hasn't reported any relevant issue. It produced a huge report though, and took a lot of time to check everything.

>*** CID 11125:  Null pointer dereferences  (FORWARD_NULL)
>/qtbase/src/3rdparty/pcre2/src/pcre2_jit_compile.c: 10408 in
>compile_braminzero_backtrackingpath()
>10402     current->top = NULL;
>10403     current->topbacktracks = NULL;
>10404     current->nextbacktracks = NULL;
>10405     if (current->cc[1] > OP_ASSERTBACK_NOT)
>10406       {
>10407       /* Manual call of compile_bracket_matchingpath and
>compile_bracket_backtrackingpath. */

I think it expects that current->top must not be NULL. This isn't true, it can be NULL which represents a "leaf" object in a tree like structure.

>>> * it's worth to set up regular scans of it? I can do it weekly.

I don't mind if you do it. But please check the output manually first and don't forward a huge report every week for us :)

>Right, it looks like only Zoltan can add more people to it.

I can when I will able to log in again. It seems the password recovery does not work at the moment and I forgot the password a long time ago :)

Regards,
Zoltan