Re: [exim] Smarthost(s): 1st: 4xx, 2nd 5xx and Exim gives up…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Smarthost(s): 1st: 4xx, 2nd 5xx and Exim gives up?
Hi,

thank you for your response. As you probably read in my reply, sent
right after the first message, the problem is solved and it was my
short-cut thinking, that RST and 5xx are handled equally.

The observed behaviour is documented and is reasonable. For the
reasons you mention.

5xx is considered as an 'active' answer. They do not like my client.
And both mailhubs are considered 'authoritive', so if the 1st doesn't
respond, but the 2nd rejects me, there is no point in waiting for the
first one again, because I've to expect the same result.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann