[exim] [SOLVED] Smarthost(s): 1st: 4xx, 2nd 5xx and Exim giv…

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] [SOLVED] Smarthost(s): 1st: 4xx, 2nd 5xx and Exim gives up?
Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> (Fr 25 Nov 2016 00:21:01 CET):

> The first smarthost mailhub1 refused right after the TCP connect with
> 4xx. The second refused right after the TCP connect with 5xx.
>
> Now Exim gave up and sent a bounce (actually didn't send a bounce,
> because this should have sent via the smarthost too, but that doesn't
> matter).
>
> This behaviour I didn't expect, did you?

Found it. So it *is* the expected behaviour.

    48.2 Errors in outgoing SMTP
    ----------------------------
    Host errors

        A host error is not associated with a particular message or with a
        particular recipient of a message. The host errors are:

        + Connection refused or timed out,
        + Any error response code on connection,
        + Any error response code to EHLO or HELO,
        + Loss of connection at any time, except after ".",
        + I/O errors at any time,
        + Timeouts during the session, other than in response to MAIL, RCPT or
            the "." at the end of the data.

    *   For a host error, a permanent error response on connection, or in response
    *   to EHLO, causes all addresses routed to the host to be failed. Any other
        host error causes all addresses to be deferred, and retry data to be
        created for the host. It is not tried again, for any message, until its
        retry time arrives. If the current set of addresses are not all delivered
        in this run (to some alternative host), the message is added to the list of
        those waiting for this host, so if it is still undelivered when a
        subsequent successful delivery is made to the host, it will be sent down
        the same SMTP connection.

Thank you for paying attention :)

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden