Re: [exim] Help using cutthrough_delivery

Author: Rob Szarka
To: jgh
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help using cutthrough_delivery
On 7/1/2016 10:22 AM, jgh wrote:
> OK. So then when verify is invoked you should (given the right debug flags) see the onward SMTP conversation up to the RCPT acceptance, and (I think) a mention of holding the connection open for cutthrough?

In one test with a different address, I did get this message:

Cutthrough cancelled by presence of DKIM signing

(That's encouraging, because it means the warn statement is doing what
it's supposed to and triggering cutthrough in the first place. OTOH,
it's not so great, since I assume that means spammers that DKIM sign
their spam will not get the cutthrough treatment?)

But in testing with real sender/recipient/IP data pulled from my logs, I
see no mention at all of cutthrough after processing the warn:

using ACL "check_recipient"
processing "warn"
check control = cutthrough_delivery
warn: condition test succeeded in ACL "check_recipient"

then we eventually hit the relevant acl block and trigger callout
verification:

CUSTOMER in "+relay_domains"? yes (matched "+relay_domains")
check logwrite = DEBUG made it to this acl
LOG: MAIN
DEBUG made it to this acl
check verify = recipient/callout=use_sender

Verifying CUSTOMER

Considering CUSTOMER

routing CUSTOMER

with this eventual result:

Attempting full verification using callout
locking /var/spool/exim/db/callout.lockfile
locked /var/spool/exim/db/callout.lockfile
EXIM_DBOPEN(/var/spool/exim/db/callout)
returned from EXIM_DBOPEN
opened hints database /var/spool/exim/db/callout: flags=O_RDWR
dbfn_read: key=CUSTOMER
callout cache: found domain record for CUSTOMER
dbfn_read: key=CUSTOMER/<ef0d0c3@???>
callout cache: found address record for CUSTOMER/<ef0d0c3@???>
callout cache: address record is positive
----------- end verify ------------
accept: condition test succeeded in ACL "check_recipient"
end of ACL "check_recipient": ACCEPT
SMTP>> 250 Accepted

250 Accepted

and then we proceed through DATA and wind up at

using ACL "check_message"
processing "accept"
accept: condition test succeeded in ACL "check_message"
end of ACL "check_message": ACCEPT
calling local_scan(); timeout=300
local_scan() returned 0 NULL
LOG: MAIN
<= ef0d0c3@??? H=200-113-127-178.static.tie.cl
[200.113.127.178] P=smtp S=298
SMTP>> 250 OK id=1bJ67b-0004Hi-7i

250 OK id=1bJ67b-0004Hi-7i

I grepped for "cutthrough" in the output, just to be sure, and the only
hit is when it processes the warn. :(

--
Rob Szarka
http://szarka.org/