Re: [pcre-dev] pcre2-10.22-RC1 is available

Author: Petr Pisar
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] pcre2-10.22-RC1 is available
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 06:03:05PM +0100, ph10@??? wrote:
> I have just put the tarballs for the 10.22-RC1 release candidate here:

The release builds successfully and passes all tests on these GNU/Linux
platforms:

aarch64
armv7hl
i686
ppc
ppc64
ppc64le
s390
s390x
x86_64

So far good. But I have concerns about pcre2posix SONAME:

I can see pcre2posix.h added re_cflags member to regex_t structure. That makes
the structure bigger and the size change is ABI-incompatible change.

If you have an application built against the old pcre2posix library and then
you upgrade pcre2 and execute the application again, the regcomp() function
will write to memory out of the regex_t structure when accessing re_cflags
member.

Therefore the pcre2posix library should change SONAME to declare the new
library is not compatible with the old one and that the applications must be
recompiled.

I see you edited libpcre2_posix_version from 0:1:0 to 0:2:0 in the
configure.ac. Reading info page for libtool, I think the correct value should
be 1:0:0. That will change the SONAME to libpcre2-posix.so.1.

Am I right or did I overlook something?

-- Petr