Re: [exim] Exim not always logging Message-ID

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not always logging Message-ID
On 1 June 2016 at 13:27, Jeremy Harris <jgh@???> wrote:

> By the way, generated a message-id is fully predictable from your
> config. See message_id_header_domain and message_id_header_text
> main-section config options. If left as default (unset), you get:
>
> "its internal message id as the local part, and the primary host name as
> the domain".
>
> The internal message id will already be on your log lines.

That's really useful to know, and should help me with the tracing I was
trying to do.

However it doesn't seem to be quite as you describe… It looks like an "E"
gets prepended to the internal message id when forming the value.

Looking at the code this seems to be a constant, so knowing that I can (try
to) remember to add it in when second-guessing the value Exim has generated
in order to do my tracing.

(Having the message-id recorded in the logfiles somewhere would avoid
guesswork and the need for intimate knowledge of Exim's innards. :-)

Cheers,
Mike B-)

--
Systems Administrator & Change Manager
IT Services, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK

Web: www.york.ac.uk/it-services
Disclaimer: www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm