Re: [exim] Exim not always logging Message-ID

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not always logging Message-ID
On 01/06/16 12:16, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> *Why do I want this?*
> This is making it a real pain to try and trace a message generated by an
> on-site system, sent out through Exim on our local gateways to an external
> host, which (I think, but am trying to prove) is relaying it back to our
> Google-hosted mailboxes. The message-id would be the information to link
> the outgoing entry in Exim's logs to the incoming messages in Google's logs
> whilst having no access to the logs of the intermediate server.

By the way, generated a message-id is fully predictable from your
config. See message_id_header_domain and message_id_header_text
main-section config options. If left as default (unset), you get:

"its internal message id as the local part, and the primary host name as
the domain".

The internal message id will already be on your log lines.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy