Re: [exim-dev] warning on missing environment option

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] warning on missing environment option
Hi,

Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???> (Do 10 Mär 2016 19:59:46 CET):
> Setting keep_environment to some, even an empty value clearly indicates
> the users intention. If only add_environment is there, it's not obvious
> that the "default" environment is empty. In fact, the warning should
> persist as long as keep_environment isn't used at all. But see my notes
> below.

I introduced a small change in the warning behaviour.

Current master (latest versions that are expected to go into 4.87) issue
a warnining only

    - if keep_environment is not used in the runtime configuration
      (the setting of add_environment doesn't matter for the warnings)

AND

    - there is something in the environment (that way child processes
      exec()'ed by Exim do not issue that warning anymore, because
      either keep_environment is used or the environment is empty
      anyway)

It's sufficent to use

    keep_environment =

in the configuration. It's the sane default anyway, but documents that
you understand the implications of an empty environment.

Future versions of Exim may not issue that warning anymore.
The rationale behind the warning is to support the transition of
existing installations.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann