Re: [exim] Matching a client's IP address against a hostlist

Author: Mike Brudenell
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Matching a client's IP address against a hostlist
*Double-ouch!!*

I've reworked my accept ACL with the broken string expansion into a two
separate ACLs. The first identifies hosts in *+mail_server_hosts* and
selects *cutthrough_delivery*; the second does traditional delivery in
*submission* mode.

Why the double-ouch?

I tested in by hand using my normal

exim -bhc clientipaddress -oMi serveripaddress.port -v -d+all

and hand-cranked the SMTP.

When I used an IP address that resulted in traditional delivery with
submission mode all was fine: the fake session ran through and told me what
Exim would do, finishing by showing me the Exim message id and telling me
it's fake.

When I tested with a different IP address that instead selected
cutthrough_delivery my test message *really did get sent*! (And the Exim
message id shown me at the end telling me it's a fake really is assigned to
the message.)

Eeek! I'll rummage in the bug tracker system and see if this is known
about/fixed in a version after 4.82; if not I'll report it.

Thought I'd record it here in case it helps someone else now or in the
future.

Cheers,
Mike B-)