Re: [exim] Exim trying to send email to A record of recipien…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Konstantin Boyandin
To: Exim-Users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Exim trying to send email to A record of recipient domain
On 02/11/2016 12:03 AM, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2016, at 14:29, Konstantin Boyandin <lists@???> wrote:
>> The above Exim behaviour has happened just few times. Nameservers'
>
> With the same granularity that Exim has? Are the resolvers the same in

each case?

Every 5 minutes. Affirmative, same resolvers.

If I make it significantly more frequent, VM will spend most if its time
wasting bandwidth and CPu time on checking DNS records

>> Question: does Exim uses /etc/hosts records (as specified in
>> /etc/nsswitch.conf ) before trying DNS resolution? Looks like it

doesn’t.

> Not for an MX record, no - there’s no way to indicate an MX in

/etc/hosts.

Actually, after I understood it tries to communicate with A record, I
attempted to redirect the A record to correct IP (since domain actual A
record isn't ever used from that VM).

> It *might* drop back to that for A lookups, depending on the lookup order

in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Corresponding entry:

hosts:      files dns

Can the above Exim behaviour be changed? If MX entries fail to resolve,
I would rather expect Exim delay the delivery until DNS returns to
normal functioning. Sending to A is anyway senseless in many cases. Or,
as alternative, add a parameter - host name to fallback if DNS
resolution fails.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Konstantin