Re: [exim] Benchmarking an MTA?

Author: Klaus Ethgen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Benchmarking an MTA?
Hi,

Am Mi den 3. Feb 2016 um 8:33 schrieb Heiko Schlittermann:
> Does anybody know anything about benchmarking an MTA?
> What do we count as performance?
>
> e.g.:
> visible by the user:        time, a message spent in the queue
> visible by the admin:       (spooled messages)/time the MTA can send
> visible by the sending mta: messages/time the MTA can accept¹

> Any other suggestions?

Well, the only performance that makes sense for a MTA is the throughput.
In fact that is the performance you have to have in mind dimensioning a
MTA setup.

Unfortunately there is no real statistics about that available. It would
also be somehow hard as it depends on the internal processing. So
naturally the throughput would be lower when doing spam checking as it
would be without.

> Would anybody be willing to share performance stats?
> (In a first step: submit the results from a tailored eximstats output?)

Well, some time ago, I was implementing a setup for University Zürich.
While taking mails it does Spam and two virus processings (with some
other stuff). It was capable to manage a volume of up to around 5000
mails per hour per box without to much troubles. That was in 2012...

Bevore going live, I did tests with around 4000 mails an hour.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@???>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C