Re: [exim] Benchmarking an MTA?

Author: Peter Funk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Benchmarking an MTA?
Hallo ihr,

Heiko Schlittermann schrieb am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2016 um 08:33:
> Hello,
>
> … thinking about Exims performance …
>
> Does anybody know anything about benchmarking an MTA?
> What do we count as performance?
>
> e.g.:
> visible by the user:        time, a message spent in the queue
> visible by the admin:       (spooled messages)/time the MTA can send
> visible by the sending mta: messages/time the MTA can accept¹

> Any other suggestions?

I think consumed resources (CPU cycles, memory, disk I/O, electricity)
might become interesting when it comes to compare different MTAs for
a high volume scenario on a server at some cloud service provider.
(depending on the cost model those providers are using to calculate
their billing of course).

I believe: It will be very difficult to construct a realistic
MTA-benchmark suite with reproducible results. There are way too
many different interacting factors.

> Would anybody be willing to share performance stats?
> (In a first step: submit the results from a tailored eximstats output?)

What kind of information do you expect?

Regards, Peter Funk
--
Peter Funk, home: ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee
mobile:+49-179-640-8878 phone:+49-421-20419-0 <http://www.artcom-gmbh.de/>