Re: [exim] exim4, gmail and 550-5.7.1

Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4, gmail and 550-5.7.1
On 2015-12-13 20:58 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

> it's not that hard to work within the debian confug tree you just
> need to read the debian specific documentation first.

As I noted in the other subthread, I am quite familiar with the Debian
way.

> The reason behind this config splitting is so that debian can offer
> seamless ingeration with other mail processing packages like
> spamassassin and clamav using connector packages that drop additional
> config files into the config tree to activate the integration.

When I hear the words "seamless integration" I reach for my
... anti-gnome spray, to keep it nonviolent :-)

> One big advantage of split config is that when exim is upgraded by
> debian your changes will persist while the stock config files are
> updated. saving you from crawling through a 2000 line config file.
> duplicating all the edits.

How so? When I keep my own exim4.conf, it is _never_ touched by
upgrades, simply because the package doesn't contain the file at all.