Re: [exim] exim4, gmail and 550-5.7.1

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4, gmail and 550-5.7.1
Hi,

> Nonetheless, it's easier for (at least some) people to understand the
> exim4 file than the Debian stuff. I tried to stick to the debconf
> mechanism when I first had my VPS, but it became just too hard to keep
> track of where everything was and how the variables interacted, as
> soon as I wanted to do non-trivial things. A single text file is much
> easier to find one's way about.

It probably should be pointed out, that the debian configuration stuff
makes the Exim configration roughly comparable with the complexity of
configuring Fostpix. But Exim goes further than Fostpix, but I'd say 80%
of the users don't care.

And for 80% of the users of Exim it's sufficient to have the Debian
config way. The last 20% may want to go into the details of the
native configuration. But this does not allow me (as one of the
20%) to ignore the 80%.

If Exim has a significant market 'share', then that's because of Debian, I
suppose.

Even I personally don't like the Debian config stuff, I think if the
Debian way of configuration can be generalized and get part of the Exim
distribution. Because from what I see it provides a kind of interface
that could allow easy integration into configuration management systems
that exist outside the Debian universum. In a much better way than the
classic exim.conf, that is more of the TIMTOWTDI style of thinking.

BTW: The people behind the Debian config way are free to support Exim
users here and in the Exim IRC channel. But as I'm much more familiar
with the native configuration I can't do that job, as most of the other
supporters, I suppose.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann