Re: [exim] exim4, gmail and 550-5.7.1

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4, gmail and 550-5.7.1
On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:11:36 -0800, Ian Zimmerman <itz@???>
wrote:
>On 2015-12-12 21:34 -0600, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
>
>> How would one implement your suggestion in an Ubuntu/Debian server?
>>
>> The git hub link I provided in my original post also seems a valid approach, but
>> Again, I'm not sure how to implement it in a Debian/Ubuntu environment.
>>
>> Please be gentle.
>
>Maybe, as a first step, you could move from the Debian configuration
>infrastructure for exim to a hand edited configuration file.

Why would one want to do that?

>The exim4
>package is already prepared for that; all you have to do is to create
>the configuration file as /etc/exim4/exim4.conf. You can start with the
>example configuration /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/example.conf.gz
>and make changes as necessary.
>
>While it _is_ possible to achieve your goal within the Debian
>infrastructure, it involves creating or modifying files in an entire
>tree of configurations [1], which many find not "intuitive" and/or
>unfamiliar.

Explain "many". I guess the vast majority of exim installation these
days run just fine with the Debian magic. Debian is the last big Linux
distribution that has not yet switched away from exim.

There might be people thinking that this is the case _because_ Debian
does a pretty good job in hiding away the clumsyness of hand-crafting
exim configuration away from the vast majority of users while keeping
it reasonably easy to modify exim's behavior.

spec.txt is 35522 lines
README.Debian.txt is 1300 lines.

Even if the man pages added by Debian add up to anothe 2000 lines,
Debian-specific documentation is less than 10 % of what one needs to
read and understand anyway to write a hand-crafted exim configuration.

Please consider not dismissing Debian's work on exim as "unuseable
rubbish" just because you don't understand it. That's horribly
impolite to do even if doing it not right in front of the people who
have done a considerable part of the work of packaging Exim for
Debian.

Greetings
Marc