Re: [exim] Encrypted for Some, Plain for the Rest

Author: Terrance Devor
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Encrypted for Some, Plain for the Rest
Hello Heiko,

Thanks for your response.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 5:16 PM, Heiko Schlittermann <hs@???>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Terrance Devor <ter.devor@???> (So 30 Aug 2015 01:57:16 CEST):
> …
> >
> > 1) All authentication (ie, passing of username and password) should be
> done
> > over SSL/TLS port 465. Attempts to pass username and password over port
> > 25 will result in deny, error message returned to the MTA, and log
>
> 465 is deprecated, use 587 and STARTTLS. Read about
> 'server_advertise_conition' to avoid advertising AUTH on unencrypted
> connections.

Understood. Will start moving everything over to port 587. Will I need to
rebuild my SSL certificates and reconfigure for that as well?

> > 2) When relaying
> >
> > Assume our local domain is example.com
> >
> > (i) user1@???    ----> (465)  Exim  (465) ------>
> user2@???
> > (ii) user1@???    ----> (465)  Exim  (25) ------>
> > ter.devor@??? etc...
> > (iii) ter.devor@??? ------> (25)    Exim  (465) ------>
> > user1@???

> You do not want to relay vom anywhere to anywhere, do you?

Exactlly, we do not. And if an individual from outside tries to relay to
another outside email address than obviously this denied. A klnd of black
list
by means of process separation.

> Accepting messages from outside should be done for your very own domain
> only, here for example.com. Exceptions are possible, in case you know
> what you're doing :)

There will be no relaying of outside domain emails to other outside emails.
Only valid internal.