Re: [exim] Some help implementing SRS...

Author: Marco Gaiarin
To: Ian Eiloart
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Some help implementing SRS...
Mandi! Ian Eiloart
In chel di` si favelave...

> It seems you???ve been doing some work on this, and had partial success. But, I???m not clear on what the problem is.

Ok, try to restart from the beginning.

> You???re trying to get SRS sender address rewriting.

Yes. I manage a litte server for a nonprofit organization, and from one
reason or another, many user have a redirect/forward to ther personal email.
I know it is all but ideal setup, and SRS was in my ''todo list'' from the
beginning.

I'm doing for now only some tests, i know that probably i cannot get benefit
in using SRS if i dont handle also SPF/DKIM and so on.

> You???ve got it working for some emails, but not others. Can you explain more clearly which addresses are not being rewritten?

I'm following the documentation of the 'srs' debian package, and some
similar docs you can find on google.

My first setup was a bit custom, but because does not work, i've added, as
suggested by the docs, the two router: one for rewriting the sender, one for
catching bounces to 'SRS0' addresses.

Both routers works in address testing mode.

Both routers does not work in ''real mode''; bounce router give an error
and defer; but rewriting router effectively do the sender rewriting, but only
for local-delivered addresses, not for remote ones.
In my router i set 'errors_to', and seems that 'errors_to' does not suffices
to rewrite the sender, if the message is non-local.

> Is this router (below) the only relevant part of your configuration?^M

Yes. As suggested for the docs, i've also modified
CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_LOCALPARTS, but i think it is needed only for bounce.

> Do you have debug output that proves that the router is actually being called? It could be that an earlier router is handling the email.

I've posted some logs of address testing mode.
Also, i add a header (X-SRS) and get added to the email, so the router get
called.

Thanks.

--
  Io chiedo quando sara` che l'uomo potra` imparare
  a vivere senza ammazzare e il vento si posera`    (F. Guccini)