Re: [pcre-dev] issues with EBCDIC and pcretest

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Autor: Ze'ev Atlas
To: pcre-dev@exim.org
Betreff: Re: [pcre-dev] issues with EBCDIC and pcretest

<SNIP>
I thought about this some more and decided that
it would be best to bring PCRE into line with Perl in all EBCDIC
environments, not just z/OS. I have therefore adapted your patch and
re-organized it a bit - but at the moment only in PCRE2. The error
message can trivially be re-worded for EBCDIC, and I've tried to imitate
Perl for the \c? handling.

The next thing I am going to do is to retro-fit the patch into PCRE1
(but not today). I'll email you when I have committed that code.

<SNIP>

<SNIP> Ah yes. I see the problem.
In pcretest, which processes escapes in subject lines, \e is being
converted to ASCII escape (0x1b) instead of EBCDIC escape (0x27).
Likewise \a goes to ASCII BEL (0x07) instead of 0x2f. Other escapes such
as \n go to the compiler's value for '\n' so should work in either code.

I will check pcretest to see if there are any other such errors. I see
also that there is a similar bug in pcre_compile.c for \a, but not for
\e. When I have committed the changes I will email you so you can pick
up the revised code.
<SNIP>
Thank youI am waiting patiently (I really appreciate and value your time) on the two issues above in order to continue with the EBCDIC test suite.  I plan to go to PCRE2 only after the test suite is done and probably not before the next release of PCRE2.

I would like to re-emphasize that the majority of the test DO pass and the issues seem to concentrate around escape sequences that produce control characters where there is a significant (if obscure) difference between ASCII and EBCDIC, so I think we won't find too many major issued anymore.
Ze'ev Atlas