Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE as FPGA

Author: C.J. Adams-Collier
To: pcre-dev
CC: Chris Collier
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE as FPGA
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 8:56 AM, <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:
>
> > Have any of the list members considered putting PCRE on dedicated silicon
> > and what that might entail?
>
> No idea, but there was that URL somebody else posted here.

Yeah, I took a look at that (Thank you Matthew!) and was really happy to
see that so much work has already been done in this area.

> > For example, what services does libpcre depend
> > on in terms of system calls and state management which might not be
> > available without a kernel between it and the hardware?
>
> PCRE (and PCRE2 - you should probably be looking at the new API,
> recently released, not yet got spread around much) uses only the
> services available in Standard C. The only one that involves the OS is
> memory management, and even that can be avoided by providing your own
> hooks - the API for this is much improved for PCRE2.

This is great news. Not having to factor all of that stuff out of the
library by ourselves will be a major boon. Chris and I are meeting
tomorrow night (US Pacific time) to take a look at the hardware together.
If anyone's interested in hanging out with us on IRC while we're at it,
I'll be on irc.perl.org as cj on #perl

> Philip

Cheers,

C.J.