Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE as FPGA

Author: C.J. Adams-Collier
To: pcre-dev
CC: Chris Collier
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE as FPGA
Thanks Phillip,

What I meant by "lower level" was targeting something other than an OS with
file system, memory management and other such conveniences.

Perhaps the gcc-dev list might be more appropriate, but I thought there
might be some things more specific to the application.

Have any of the list members considered putting PCRE on dedicated silicon
and what that might entail? For example, what services does libpcre depend
on in terms of system calls and state management which might not be
available without a kernel between it and the hardware?

Cheers,

C.J.
On Fri, 13 Mar 2015, C.J. Adams-Collier wrote:

> My brother and I are thinking about compiling the PCRE library down to
> something that would run on a dedicated FPGA.

FPGA? Er, I'm not a hardware person - I guess that's a Field
Programmable Gate Array?

> We might need some help targeting different hardware or something like
> that, and I wanted to open a channel of communication for any
> questions we have as we move along in this process.

You can try asking here, but the last time I looked at anything "lower"
than C was IBM Assembler in the 1980s. However, there are others on this
list who perhaps have more relevent knowledge.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel