Re: [pcre-dev] will the pcre-8.36 continue to be supported i…

Author: ph10
To: Wu, Hongbing (Hongbing)
CC: pcre-dev@exim.org, Lefebvre, Stephane \(Stephane\)
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] will the pcre-8.36 continue to be supported in the future?
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015, Wu, Hongbing (Hongbing) wrote:

> ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/
>
> The pcre2-10.00 is dated on 2013
> The pcre-8.36 is dated on 2014

That's not right. These are the latest releases:

Version 8.36 26-September-2014

Version 10.00 05-January-2015
Version 10.10 06-March-2015

> Apparently the pcre-8.36 maintains the same API as the "pcre" version
> 7.3

Yes, but it will not be developed further. Bugs are being fixed (8.37
will come out in about a month's time) but no new features will be
added.

> I am wrong, so I think that we should choose pcre-8.36, am I right?

For the long term, it would be better to change to 10.10. I guess it
depends on your timescales.

> instead the pcre2 will only be supported later?

That is likely to happen in the long term. I hope to continue to fix
bugs in the 8.xx series for some time (at least a year or more), but
eventually that will cease.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel