[pcre-dev] will the pcre-8.36 continue to be supported in th…

Author: Wu, Hongbing (Hongbing)
To: pcre-dev@exim.org
CC: Lefebvre, Stephane \(Stephane\)
Subject: [pcre-dev] will the pcre-8.36 continue to be supported in the future?
Hi, Philip:

Thank you very much in advance.

We are looking into migrating the "pcre" library into the newer version. Currently we are using "pcre" version 7.3 28-Aug-07. From the following download page:

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/

The pcre2-10.00 is dated on 2013
The pcre-8.36 is dated on 2014

Apparently the pcre-8.36 maintains the same API as the "pcre" version 7.3 28, it seem to be newer than pcre2-10.00 from date, correct me if I am wrong, so I think that we should choose pcre-8.36, am I right? Pcre2 which changed all the APIs is good for the new design. We are just worry that the further release of "pcre" will not be supported later, instead the pcre2 will only be supported later? Should we migrate to pcre2-10 now even though we have to revise all the API calls? What is your plan for supporting further release of "pcre" and "pcre2"?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

hongbing