Re: [exim] HAProxy SMTP Proxy Protocol

Author: Matt Bryant
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] HAProxy SMTP Proxy Protocol
been going through the TCP dump i got from one of the failures ...

haproxy (syn) ---------------> exim
exim (syn,ack) ---------------> haproxy
haproxy (ack) ----------------> exim
exim (banner) 3s later ---------> haproxy
haproxy (proxy line) ---------> exim
exim -----------------------> haproxy

so not sure if its exim or haproxy at this point .. will need to compare
with a working conversation .. but from my understanding the proxy line
should be pre-banner ... but whether is haproxy not sending it in
sequence or exim jumping the gun ... from hosts NOT on the proxy_host
list things still work ok.

still even so should this be a solid 5xx reject or a 4xx defer when this
issue happens .. for a client 5xx is nice but for mx server 4xx would be
nicer ie defer as temporary issue and defer rather than bounce.

rgds

Matt B.