Re: [exim] PCRE virtual addresses

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] PCRE virtual addresses
On 2015-02-25, Jim Trigg <jktrigg@???> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 09:29:00AM +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:
>> On 2015-02-25, Jim Trigg <jtrigg@???> wrote:
>> > I'm switching from Postfix to Exim. The one facility that I use in
>> > Postfix that I haven't figured out how to implement in Exim is PCRE
>> > aliases. I include an example below. Any suggestions how to write a
>> > router for this in Exim? Also, is there a different syntax I should
>> > be using in the file?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Munged example to elide actual domain names from my existing virtual.pcre:
>> > /^(abuse|policyd|root)@(anydomain).tld$/    blaise+${2}-${1}@localhost
>> > /^(host|list|post|web)master@(anydomain).tld$/    blaise+${2}-${1}@localhost
>> > /^jtrigg([-+].+)@(anydomain).tld$/        blaise+${2}${1}@localhost
>> > /^jtrigg@(anydomain).tld$/            blaise+${1}@localhost

>> www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/.../ch-address_rewriting.html
>
> Sadly, there are two problems with this - first, while the idea of a
> monolithic configuration file is fine in general, this is a specific
> case where a separate file is indicated.

Debian ships Exim with a script that builds the confuguration from
several small files.

< Second, the innate address
> rewriting is much more limited than PCRE.

It seems to support regex and so should be capable of all those examples.

You can also use string expansion, which is almost turing complete
in itself and can do call-outs to embedded perl, external scripts,
ans serveral types of service.

Exim's documentation is very terse, many features are mentioned only
once, and some are not demonstrated in the documentation.

rewrite is not a feature I use.

--
umop apisdn