Re: [exim] check_srv mx exists

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Richard Clayton
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users, Klaus Ethgen
Betreff: Re: [exim] check_srv mx exists
In message <54BFA233.1070801@???>, Jeremy Harris
<jgh@???> writes

>For me, operating as an MTA: if the envelope sender address has
>a domain for which there is no MX or A record in DNS, then I cannot
>send a bounce.

correct

>For me, as the administrator of an MTA: if my MTA
>cannot return a bounce to a sender then I cannot maintain overall
>reliability of email, in the notification of error conditions.

as a community we'd much rather than you refused to accept a message
(5xx) rather than accepting it and generating a bounce later !

but how practical that is will of course depend upon what sort of error
you have in mind

>Therefore I do do wish to take responsibility for such a message.

if it doesn't have a valid domain (or null) in the MAIL FROM then it's
quite acceptable (and quite common) not to take responsibility !

- --
richard                                              Richard Clayton

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.         Benjamin Franklin