Re: [exim] Solution of problem<g>

Author: alan
To: Merlin Hartley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Solution of problem<g>
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 05:05:02PM +0000, Merlin Hartley wrote:
> Glad you got it mostly sorted.

    Thanks!  I admit to being a bit chuffed<g>.  It is a PITA
    to have to ssh into this globaltap account, and most
    depressing not to be able to use your accustomed methods.

> Assuming you are still accepting mail for localhost, you could make an alias for alan@??? to alan@localhost.

    Now this I'm not grasping.  In an earlier life(Debian Squeeze)
    when I was running P*stf*x, I could send mail to myself, and
    it would be "delivered locally".  But E-mail sent to
    anyone else would go up to his.com to be delivered by them,
    with the usual address rewriting.

    Incidentally, my local machine here is   alanmcc.localdomain .

Let me rephrase the question more generally. Suppose there were
three local users; alan, ben, and charles. Can exim be configured
so that if ben wants to send mail to charles he uses whatever his
MUA to enter 'charles' and the mail stays here; presumable charles
could sent messages to 'alan' and 'ben' and the mail would stay
here. But any other message, with a more complete address --
way to superman@???, would get sent off by exim to
krypton.org and to Superman's mbox(we know Superman doesn't use
Maildir, don't we?)

I bet there is a way of doing this with exim, and I bet you and
lots of others here know how.

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to your answer.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell alan @ razor dot globaltap dot com
"If brute force doesn't work, you are not using enough."