[exim] Need help configuring exim4 for smart hosting

Author: alan
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Need help configuring exim4 for smart hosting
This is slightly altered from a message I sent earlier today.
If the earlier message reached this list, I apologize for the
duplication.

I have just bought a new machine and have installed Debian
Wheezy on it. On my old machine I used Postfix, but
I have now switched to exim4, which is installed on my
machine.

I am having difficulty getting my upload connection to
my smart host server restored. The firm is Heller
Information Services, his.com, and they are trying to
be helpful(they are a local phone call away) but they
use Postfix and aren't familiar with exim.

I have been used to using alan@??? as my address
and a mailbox with this name exists at Heller. I
can get mail sent there with fetchmail, which works
fine, so my address and password are, it seems, OK.

I have run    dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config a dozen
times.  The responses are mostly obvious, except
perhaps for the query about my system mailname.
I have entered    alanmcc.localdomain   which is my
entry in /etc/hosts.  But maybe this isn't right?
The people at Heller insist that   alan@??? must
appear in the exim configuration; I don't know where
it should be.

The basic question: besides dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config ,
is there another setting that I must set by hand? As
mentioned, I had to set passwd.client by hand.

TIA for help!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell alan @ razor dot globaltap dot com
"If brute force doesn't work, you are not using enough."