Re: [exim] Need help configuring exim4 for smart hosting

Author: alan
To: Jasen Betts
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Need help configuring exim4 for smart hosting
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 03:30:40AM +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

> On 2014-10-27, <alan@???> <alan@???> wrote:
>
> > I have run    dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config a dozen
> > times.  The responses are mostly obvious, except
> > perhaps for the query about my system mailname.
> > I have entered    alanmcc.localdomain   which is my
> > entry in /etc/hosts.  But maybe this isn't right?
> > The people at Heller insist that   alan@??? must
> > appear in the exim configuration; I don't know where
> > it should be.

> It looks like they require SMTP authentication:
>
> viz: https://support.his.com/kb/article/168-I_can_get_my_mail_but_cant_send_any
>
> So, put your credentials in the file /etc/exim4/passwd.client .

    Long since done!  Here is the contents of that
    file:    mail.his.com:alan:<my password>

> For detailed instuctions see section 2.3.1 of
> /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz

    <G>  I've looked at the html version of this
    README.

Let me emphasize:  For most of this past Saturday my
connection to (mail.)his.com worked fine.  Except that it
was relaying mail as from    alan@???  .
I got this mail as did friends in California.  But obviously
the part with localhost wasn't right.  So I asked the
Heller Support people about this, and they gave me
directions about how to run dpkg-reconfigure which
completely hosed my even getting E-mail accepted and relayed
out.

I deduce that my authentication is working OK.  What
seems not to be OK are my answers to the command
     dpkg-reconfig exim4-config
which I have run a good many times.

Yes, the Heller help people should know more. But they are,
like the rest of the world, more familiar with M$ problems,
although their system is Linux. Their MTA is Postfix, so
they aren't familiar with exim. I confess my unfamiliarity
with exim also, and I'm getting used to my new Debian
Wheezy, which is why I've joined this List.

I give a copy of the relevant parts of my
update-exim4.conf.conf:

(start)--------------------------
dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='alanmcc.localdomain'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='mail.his.com::587'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='true'
dc_hide_mailname='false'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
                                 ------------------------(finish)
and I hope for suggestions about how to change this.  Again: a
permutation of this semi-worked on Saturday.  Most unfortunately,
then I didn't know about this file<g>.

Thanks to Jasen Betts for his reply. I am sending this to
both him and to the List, and I hope this is not a breach of
custom here.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell alan @ razor dot globaltap dot com
"If brute force doesn't work, you are not using enough."