Re: [exim] SWAKS works to send / receive, but Can't connect…

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Dave Myers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SWAKS works to send / receive, but Can't connect to exim4 smtp server from clients or telnett,
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Dave Myers <david.myers.24j74@???> wrote:

> On 19/09/14 14:25, Todd Lyons wrote:
>>
>> As Evgeniy mentioned, your auth plain data is formatted incorrectly.
>> But I also wanted to point out that it would be much easier for you if
>> you were using swaks to test this:
>>
>> swaks --to you@??? --from websales@??? --server
>> mail.exsportee.biz --auth --auth-user websales@???
>> --auth-password testPassword
>>
>> Passing "--auth" without specifying "login" or "plain" will make swaks
>> try each available advertised method until one works. If you want to
>> force it to use one (as an example, plain), then adjust the
>> commandline to read "--auth plain".
>>
>> You can add "--quit-after auth" to make swaks stop the smtp
>> conversation after attempting auth (whether it succeeds or fails).
>>
>> ...Todd
>
> @ Todd
>
> Thanks for the detail for swaks, I'll try each auth method to see which
> swaks is using. But as the subject says, swaks will happily deliver to
> internal and external addresses.

You didn't give any detail, so I assumed you were doing it without
forcing authentication and it works because your exim mail server is
configured to relay from the IP address you are testing it from (i.e.
without requiring auth). Using swaks with the cli opts I mentioned
will force it to use auth to login, and due to the extremely cool
nature of swaks, shows you exactly every step that it is doing as it
does it.

> Also did you receive the updated telnet conversation ?

I have only seen your original telnet paste and have not seen an updated telnet.

...Todd