Re: [exim] Verifying recipient confusion

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Verifying recipient confusion
Terry <tech@???> (Sa 13 Sep 2014 20:34:17 CEST):
..

> I ran across an entry on the exim wiki on recipient verification.
> https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/Verification#recipient-verification
>
> Recipient Verification
> Drop at connect time if the Recipient doesn't exist.
> deny    message   = REJECTED - Recipient Verify Failed - User Not Found
>         domains   = +all_mail_handled_locally
>         !verify   = recipient/callout=2m,defer_ok,use_sender

> To me, connect time is acl_smtp_connect so as I read that, this is
> supposed to be in acl_smtp_connect. Unfortunately, the wiki entry
> doesn't contain anything to clarify.

"connect time" should be better written as "smtp time".
You're right, the acl_smtp_connect is used at the "connect phase" of the
(not yet) SMTP connection, that is, when the TCP connection is
establishd. At this stage, clearly nothing is known about the recipient.

The acl_smtp_rcpt is the first stage where the recipient is known and
can be checked. But you can delay this check even to the acl_smtp_data
or later, if that makes sense … (mostly it doesn't).

Just think of the acl_smtp_* as hooks that are used at their individual
phase of the SMTP connection.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome --------------- key ID: 7CBF764A -
 gnupg fingerprint: 9288 F17D BBF9 9625 5ABC  285C 26A9 687E 7CBF 764A -
(gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B)-