[exim] Verifying recipient confusion

Author: Terry
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Verifying recipient confusion
Hi Folks,

Relative newbie here. I thought I had a handle on what I was doing in
rejecting mail to unknown users but a discussion on another list and
subsequent googling made me question it.

I have the following in acl_smtp_rcpt:

   require
     message = 550 5.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address
     verify = recipient

It works just fine and has been since the server's been set up.

I ran across an entry on the exim wiki on recipient verification.
https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/Verification#recipient-verification

Recipient Verification
Drop at connect time if the Recipient doesn't exist.
deny    message   = REJECTED - Recipient Verify Failed - User Not Found
         domains   = +all_mail_handled_locally
         !verify   = recipient/callout=2m,defer_ok,use_sender

To me, connect time is acl_smtp_connect so as I read that, this is
supposed to be in acl_smtp_connect. Unfortunately, the wiki entry
doesn't contain anything to clarify.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that verify works only with RCPT so
I looked in the exim docs and found this in section 42.26.
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-access_control_lists.html#SECTaclconditions

verify = recipient/<options> "This condition is relevant only after a
RCPT command...."

Am I correct in assuming that the wiki entry is incorrect when it says
that you can "drop at connect time" since verify isn't available then?
Or am I even more confused than I thought I was? Is there some other
way I should be checking for non-existent users? Earlier on than
acl_smtp_rcpt?

Thanks,
--
Terry