[exim-dev] Message id format

Góra strony
Autor: David Saez Padros
Dla: exim-dev
Temat: [exim-dev] Message id format
Hi

I was searching for an easy way to add message queue priorities
to Exim and the easiest way would be to change the message id
so one of it's characters is the message priority. This way queue
sorting could be done just by sorting spool files in a special way
without the need to read the header files.

One possible candidate could be the first character of the process
id as actually at least linux has a default of 32768 for the maximum
pid number (which only takes up to 3 characters in base 36 and 2
characters in base 64). I think even 5 characters will be enough
for a pid number on a system allowing the larger maximum pid number.
For systems were a pid number could be larger that this, this
behaviour could be disabled. If i'm now wrong, at least Exim itself
does not extract this number from the message-id in any place.

If this makes sense i could write the changes need for this to
work, basically:

- option to enable/disable sorting on this character
- changes in the queue sort algorithm comparision function
- acl option to set the priority and re-generate the message-id

the only thing remaining is that i have no clear idea about at which
point in time is the message-id generated and the spool file written
(after or before acl)

--
Best regards ...

    David Saez