Re: [exim] Match $h_To

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Brian Spraker
CC: exim-users@exim.org, Evgeniy Berdnikov
Subject: Re: [exim] Match $h_To
On 2014-07-09 at 13:54 -0700, Brian Spraker wrote:
> I apologize about the syntax not being correct.  This was added to a very long if or structure.  In essence, the main syntax was just copied from all of the other lines.  It does pass the Exim config test because the service restarts successfully with no errors.

That is not sufficient: Exim doesn't test the expansion of every string
in every router at startup, because it can't -- not all of the input
variables have defined values, and you have an arbitrary string
expansion language which can make decisions and branch based upon the
input.

You also need to look for the existence of the "paniclog" file.
Everything in that file is also in the normal mainlog file, so it's a
reasonable idiom to make existence of Exim's paniclog trigger a
monitoring alert; you then fix the issue which caused it and delete the
file, leaving the mainlog to still hold the historical record.

Disclaimer: I didn't review the actual string expansion to see if it
would cause problems, I'm just countering the idea that Exim's start-up
check cover all string expansions.

-Phil