Re: [exim] Matching An Incoming Mail Address

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Brian Spraker
CC: EXIM mailing list
Subject: Re: [exim] Matching An Incoming Mail Address
On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Brian Spraker <spraker@???> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Quick question.
>
> We need to match an incoming e-mail address. This e-mail address then has 'forwarder' rules so that if an e-mail comes into this e-mail address, it is distributed out to several others.
>
> When one of those users has an out of office reply, it is getting sent back to the sender. We want to prevent this behavior.

Is this OOO reply generated locally by exim to the original sender
when it delivers the email to a local mailbox? Or is the OOO reply
generated when your exim sends the email out to some remote mail
server, that remote mail server generates the OOO and sends it to your
original sender?

> Therefore, in our out of office reply section of the config, we put something like:
>
> local_parts = !^incoming@.* : !^incoming@???

This sounds like a router/transport that you are describing to do your
OOO. Can you confirm? If yes, we need more detail I think.

> However, I just sent a test message to incoming@??? and the message is delivered to all of their inboxes (like it should) but the person that has the out of office reply still has it sent to the sender.

If it's local, it very much depends how the OOO is being generated
(how much control Exim has over that process).

> local_parts seems to be the way to do it - but because it is just forwarding to other e-mail accounts, it isn't working in this case. Is there another variable that is used to check the recipient address before any mail forwarding rules are applied?

Use your routers when they are determining it's a forwarder to
ascertain that. I will make the comment that what you seem to be
calling a forwarder, I tend to think of as an alias/list exploder
because the term forwarder implies forwarding to a remote mail server
(at least to me).

...Todd