Re: [exim] Exim 4.82, Amavis, XFORWARD

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.82, Amavis, XFORWARD
> > Amavis is quite a popular choice for mail filtering, for obvious reasons.
> > This is a bit of a let down for anyone wanting to use Amavis with exim.
> > Surely
> > I'm not the only person to hit this road block. Is there any workaround?
>
> Does Amavis support Proxy Protocol? If yes, then the next release
> will have Proxy Protocol as a supported method of passing remote
> information like this.

As far as I understand, the OP was talking about Amavis sitting "behind"
the Exim box.

The proxy support in Exim seems to implement the side "behind" the proxy
(do we call it client or server? From SMTP point of view, Exim is the
server, but the HAProxy in front of Exim is a server too…)

For what I understand about XFORWARD, it was designed to circumvent
logging confusion in "MTA1 - content filter - MTA2" setups.
Now it looks as if XFORWARD may be "abused" to give some additional
pieces of information to the content filter, for policy decisions.

In Exim such policy decisions are mostly encoded in the ACL, without
external help.

I'd say it's possible with some simple configuration "tricks" to
interface some Exim ACL with Amavis as "policy bank", if necessary at
all.

Additional thought: some interface to Amavis, the get the message
evaluated, as we do already with Spamassassin.

    acl_check_data:

    deny    amavis = *
            message = sorry, amavis told us $amavis_output

This would avoid the MTA1-Amavis-MTA2 setup while getting most
of Amavis' features.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome --------------- key ID: 7CBF764A -
 gnupg fingerprint: 9288 F17D BBF9 9625 5ABC  285C 26A9 687E 7CBF 764A -
(gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B)-