Re: [exim] A way to treat 500 authentication failures as tra…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Ken Simpson
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] A way to treat 500 authentication failures as transient instead of permanent?

On 1 May 2014, at 18:01, Ken Simpson <ksimpson@???> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply. So, hypothetically, I could specify a retry rule like this to cause the auth_failed error to be retried for a long time:
>
> * auth_failed G,16h,1h,1.5
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

I guess so, but I’d expect you to be retrying for that length of time anyway. In fact, that’s the default second phase.

I’d stick with the default

* * F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,6h

That gets you faster retries in the first phase, and 4 days of retries in the last phase. If your authentication errors really are transient, then I’d add an initial "F,1h,5m;" or something like that, so that you minimise delays in delivery.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex