Re: [exim] response codes

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] response codes
On 02/03/14 15:44, Diego Sanchez wrote:
> I have Exim working as a relay server, and a client application sends
> emails through Exim.
>
> Will Exim always accept incoming emails (consider ACLs are passed),
> even though the destination server rejects the message?
>
> I need the client to know when a message is rejected, I am currently
> analyzing the bounce messages that arrive at the return-path, but that
> has a delay I'd like to avoid.

It depends how you've configured your Exim.

You could require a recipient-verify; this will check that the recipient
domain is routable. You could require recipient-verify with callout;
this will check that the MX for the recipient does not reject the
recipient name & domain (but does not go as far as data; only the
SMTP RCPT-TO command). You could request cutthrough routing (though
only on very recent Exim versions) which go all the way through to
data acceptance, for relaying, while the source is still attached
(you'll still need a bounce-handling path, but it won't get used
for most failing items).
--
Cheers,
Jeremy