Re: [exim] Anyone using platform without 64-bit integers?

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Todd Rinaldo
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] Anyone using platform without 64-bit integers?
On 2013-12-02 at 18:39 -0600, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Phil Pennock <pdp@???> wrote:
> > We have to decide on how to resolve a coding issue in Exim, and there
> > are two fixes available. One fix adds a bunch of complexity. The other
> > fix just starts using 64-bit integers. I _think_, that as we approach
> > 2014, we can now rely upon 64-bit integers being available, but we don't
> > want to leave a platform behind if it's still in use with Exim.

> Will this affect any of the libperl hooks?

I don't believe so.

The closest that perl.c comes to touching this is a shim around
`log_write()` for implementing `Exim::log_write`. This function is
affected by the API of log_write(), but that only uses the L_* log-level
macros, which are defined as flags in a 32-bit int, 31 available for
flags, 16 values currently in use.

We also have LX_* macros, which are also exposed to `log_selector` (like
L_*) but are not exposed to log_write(). As of today, we're using 28 of
31 available bits. Time to fix that.

Thanks,
-Phil