Re: [exim] Documentation explanation

Author: Justin Scott
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Documentation explanation
> What are these signs:
> †

Hi Csaba, from http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-string_expansions.html:

"Whether a string is expanded depends upon the context. Usually this
is solely dependent upon the option for which a value is sought; in
this documentation, options for which string expansion is performed
are marked with † after the data type. ACL rules always expand
strings. A couple of expansion conditions do not expand some of the
brace-delimited branches, for security reasons."

> ‡
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-generic_options_for_routers.html

First line of the page discusses this:

"This chapter describes the generic options that apply to all routers.
Those that are preconditions are marked with ‡ in the “use” field."

Preconditions on routers are discussed in length at
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-how_exim_receives_and_delivers_mail.html#SECTrouprecon

I hope this helps to shed some light on those qualifiers (I'm learning
exim myself for a high-volume deployment at the moment so I've been
spending quite a lot of time in the reference lately).

-Justin Scott