Re: [exim] Exim 4.82 RC4

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Rob Gunther
CC: exim-users, exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.82 RC4
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Rob Gunther <redrob@???> wrote:

> I have a server that sends maybe 1 million messages a day to exim. Out of
> 1 million maybe 5 - 6 of the smtp protocol sync errors occur.
>
> I have done packet captures and part way through the DATA part exim seems
> to start processing the message, even though the end of message has not
> been sent.

Set your snaplength to 1500 so you see the whole packet. Look for a
sequence of:
[newline] [period] [newline]

If you see that, there is a problem on the sending side because that
is the END_OF_DATA signal, at which point Exim rightly assumes it is
being signalled this is the end of this message body.

There is also another issue to consider. Chances are high that a
server sending a million messages a day to a single Exim server is
sending a fair amount of those in parallel, not serialized. While
trouble-shooting this, you have to make sure you are looking at just
one stream, not viewing the data of a combination of two or more
streams. The sending port will be different, that's the only way to
tell for sure.

> The remote server continues sending data and then the error
> occurs.

That makes sense. If Exim thinks the end of message has been reached,
any further data from the sending host (in the same stream) is simply
treated as a series of smtp commands that are invalid.

...Todd