Re: [exim] Interpreting eximstats output

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: soumya tr
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Interpreting eximstats output

On 4 Oct 2013, at 13:05, soumya tr <soumya.324@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand what does the below given stats infer,
>
> --------------------------------
> Grand total summary
> -------------------
>                                                                  At least
> one address
>  TOTAL               Volume      Messages   Addresses     Hosts
> Delayed       Failed
>  Received             406MB      17257
> 398      15  0.1%    541  3.1%
>  Delivered            435MB       14694         14694            193
>  Rejects                                9653
> 803
>  Temp Rejects                      15404                              678
> --------------------------------

> Does the first line means, about 17257 mails were received by the server?
> And they were all incoming messages?

They were messages received by the server. All messages received are "incoming", as far as the server is concerned. But, you may distinguish "outgoing" messages as those sent by your user base. This distinction is not made here.

> Does the 'Delivered' field means total 14694 mails were delivered to mail
> boxes?
> And does this account for both incoming and outgoing?

From the server’s perspective, it’s all outgoing. From your perspective (as a site operator) it’s both.

> Also does 'Rejects' mean about 9653 mails were rejected [and does this include count
> for both incoming and outgoing mails?]

Yes.

> I was trying to find out the total number of inbound/outbound connections,
> and the number of mails received/sent. Is there any way I can achieve this?

You could probably do something like this:
     exigrep "auth=" <filename> | eximstats

That’s assuming all your users authenticate. Some sites might identify their users by the host IP address instead. Or a mix of both. Or some other criteria.

BTW, you should also be careful to identify "local" mail, from a site user to another site user. It might not be right to describe this as "outgoing", since it doesn’t leave the site, or "incoming" since it doesn’t come from off site. If you identified "outbound" as "from a local IP address", and "inbound" as "to a local IP address", then you’d be double counting local mail. By other criteria (delivery IP address), you might miss "local" mail altogether.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex