[exim] Exim 4.82 RC/Release Process Beginning

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Exim Dev ML, Exim Users ML
Subject: [exim] Exim 4.82 RC/Release Process Beginning
Hello all!

It has been just under a year since the last release. A lot of
improvements and bugfixes as well as a few new features have gone into
the master development branch of Exim, so it's high time that a new
release be made available to allow people to take advantage of them.

All releases and release announcements for the 4.82 release process will
be signed with my PGP key:
Key id: 0x04D29EBA
uid: "Todd Lyons (Exim Maintainer) <tlyons@???>"
Please use your own discretion in assessing what trust paths you might
have to this uid.

I plan to roll the first RC on Thursday morning (UTC -0700) and I will
send the RC release announcement when I am done. The exim repo is open
for new feature commits until 00:01 AM UTC Thursday morning. After that
point, during the RC process, only bugfixes and documentation
enhancements are allowed. [1]

The exim release process specifies that there be a minimum of one week
between the first RC and the official release and I don't plan for a
quick release. This allows more people to potentially see the
announcement, download and build the RC's, and report back their
findings. Anybody who actually has the ability to test the RC under
some kind of load, or even customer facing, will be given some priority
when addressing bug reports or regressions and patching them.

Please, if you can spare the time, build exim using your standard build
process. There are some new features, but there should be no backwards
incompatible features or settings to deal with.

Release Engineering note:
The past several releases have been marvelously performed by Phil
Pennock. Phil is extremely busy with his new job, so Jeremy Harris and
I are taking the lead for the release of Exim 4.82. This was announced
by Phil in the GooglePlus Exim group. [2]

Thank you for your testing and feedback,
- -Todd Lyons, pp The Exim Maintainers.

[1] Please refer to the Offical Exim Release Policy page for more detail
and exceptions:
https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/EximReleasePolicy

[2] Exim has a GooglePlus group. The announcement of Release Coordinator
is here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101257968735428844827/posts/GkQ5LBNWds3

- --
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function. --Albert Bartlett, physicist
Linux kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp load average: 0.21, 0.15, 0.13