Re: [exim] How to discard emails with empty from field

Author: Andy Bennett
To: Jorge
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to discard emails with empty from field
Hi,

> i have an important quantity of emails in exim queue that when I do
> exiqgrep -b it show, something that:
>
> 1VJmd0-0006lJ-CD From: <> To: yyyy@???
>
> Take note of From field = <> !
>
> I think that those emails are all SPAM.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Is rigth that when from field is equal to "<>" the email is a SPAM?

No... well, maybe...
That's the Envelope From address so they're probably all bounce
messages. However, they may not be legitimate bounce messages.
Depending on how your mail is sent, you may be able to set up something
like BATV. That will help to distinguish bounces that are probably spam
from ones that are probably legitimate.

Unfortunately, now that you've accepted those messages onto your queue,
you really should deliver them. You certainly can't bounce them and
silently dropping them would be rude: you've told the sending MTA that
you intend to deliver them.

> 2) Can I set something on exim configure to discard those emails
> automatically without relaying it? What? How?

You can delete those messages off the spool with the regular tools but
I'd proceed with caution. I certainly wouldn't configure anything to
blindly discard all future messages with empty senders.

Regards,
@ndy

--
andyjpb@???