Re: [exim] exim4 smarthost with ssl

Author: Jan Ingvoldstad
To: eelboy, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 smarthost with ssl
Just some clarifications, according to my understanding of how Exim works
on a Debian system.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Phil Pennock <pdp@???> wrote:

> On 2013-06-10 at 11:45 -0400, eelboy wrote:
> > Next task will be to learn the non-Debian configuration syntax of exim4
> > (sometimes that dpkg-reconfigure comes in quite handy....)
>
> I think that if you just do a final dpkg-reconfigure and grab
> /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated then you should be able to use that
> as your template for Exim, instead of starting with our upstream.

Running dpkg-reconfigure should be unnecessary. That is something you do
when you want to change fundamentals in the Exim configuration, not when
you want the autogenerated config file.

The way to generate /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated is to run the
following command:

update-exim4.conf

This reads the metaconfig in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf (yeah, I
know, just awful), and combines it with either the template file
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template, or if you've enabled split config, the
separate files in the /etc/exim4/conf.d/ hierarchy.

Looking at an /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated it looks as though the
> .ifdef weeds thin out after a bit and by the time you get to the routers
> you're mostly looking at Exim configuration, rather than dpkg framework.

config.autogenerated should be "pure" Exim configuration without any Debian
framework.

That is, config.autogenerated should be possible to use with a standalone,
self-compiled Exim, provided that it is compiled with the same options as
Debian's Exim build.

See also here for more information about Debian's configuration system (for
Exim):

http://pkg-exim4.alioth.debian.org/README/README.Debian.html#id280581
--
Jan