[exim] Pipe to pipe

Author: Terje Trane
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Pipe to pipe
I'm in the process of setting up a replacement for a server that was
used for monitoring hosts and services that is supposed to send out SMS
messages if/when there are errors. This is done using the program gammu
that controls a usb mobile phone unit.

The previous server was using sendmail, and there I had lines like this
in /etc/aliases

sms.user    "|/usr/bin/formail -k -X From: -X Subject:
|/usr/bin/gammu-smsd-inject TEXT 987654321"

In exim, this doesn't work. I have tried variations of single and double
quotes, and tried escaping the second pipe with a backslash, but neither
works. How can I do this?