Re: [exim] "Format error is spool file" in /etc/exim/main.lo…

Author: Todd Lyons
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "Format error is spool file" in /etc/exim/main.log
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Heiko Schlittermann
<hs@???> wrote:
> Ritchie P. Fraser <rpf@???> (Mo 20 Mai 2013 16:11:54 CEST):
>> - - - - - 8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> [root@mailwasher input]# cat 1UeOGc-0003Ej-9S-H
>> 1UeOGc-0003Ej-9S-H
>> exim 93 93
>> <it@???>
>> 1369049318 0
>> -host_address 192.168.0.109.52026
>> -interface_address 192.168.0.200.25
>> -active_hostname marge.marinesoftware.ext
>> marge.altmail.marinesoftware.ext
>> -received_protocol smtp
>> -body_linecount 3
>> -max_received_linelength 8
>> -deliver_firsttime
>> -host_lookup_failed
>> XX
>> 1
>> rpf@???
> …
>
> According to the spec file I wouldn't expect the line
> "marge.altmail.marinesoftware.ext". There should be lines starting with
> How did you manage the hostname to be there? Probably some faulty
> configuration, lookup, etc. Do you some lookup for the
> smtp_active_hostname?
> Or does Baruwa play with the spool files?

Based on the above symptom and Heiko's comment, I am going to make a
wild guess. I suspect that somewhere you have a configuration file or
line which is supposed to have a hostname, and you put "$hostname
[Newline] $second_hostname". It then sounds like whatever is reading
in the file is just reading the whole file instead of only the first
line.

That line is added to the spool file using the global setting
smtp_active_hostname. Find what is setting smtp_active_hostname and
you'll likely fix your problem. Post it here if what it is doing does
not make sense to you.

...Todd