Re: [exim] Exim appears to stop handling mail via the localu…

Author: Todd Lyons
To: David Grant
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim appears to stop handling mail via the localuser router after a while
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM, David Grant <starchy@???> wrote:
>> On a slightly unrelated note, why are you restarting exim?
> ClamAV updates its database nightly, but fails to reload if exim isn't
> shutdown first due to open connections from exim to clamd.

I'd run a periodic (every 10 minutes or so) 'exiwhat' and redirect it
to a log file (or multiple timestamp-named files, your choice). Look
for patterns that might indicate something going wrong. I have a
hunch that a bunch of inbound connections are being held open for long
periods of time.

What other services does your exim connect to? You've mentioned
clamav so far. Make sure there aren't threads of clamav that are
hanging. I assume SpamAssassin is also part of the mix, so make sure
that SA isn't hanging and running the system out of memory due to lots
of threads hanging around.

...Todd